No announcement yet.

USC - Stanford game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn’t shoot well enough to win the game from the stripe or behind the arc. Move on to LA and sweep to get to 5-1

Comment

How many spots in the rankings will this loss drop us? Do we stay in the top #15?

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20, but I thought all along USC should've stayed in the bay all weekend instead of flying back then flying up again yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by ACfromSC View Post
          How many spots in the rankings will this loss drop us? Do we stay in the top #15?
          I'd say yes if they win the next two games this week

Comment

Originally posted by phearSC View Post
            I think we've been the beneficiaries of a relatively easy schedule and it's going to show down the stretch. We are a top 20ish team, but not top 5. Just too many fundamental flaws.

13-1 is still a very good record.
            7 turnovers and a bunch of missed free throws in the second half will not win you games where the talent level is closer. Not to mention terrible perimeter defense and another team above 40% shooting.

good thing they come back to an empty arena in a few days to right the ship…🙄

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan2021 View Post

Not a particularly insightful comment at this point in the game, but sure...

Lot of stuff went wrong for us this game, Baylor beat Stanford by 30, this shouldn't have come down to free throws.
              And your insightful take on this thread is Baylor beating Stanford by 30? We aren't at their level at this point. Fact of the matter is if we make our free throws throughout the game at around 75%, we go into the last 3 minutes tied or ahead with a much better chance of pulling it through.

Comment

Well, a minor setback in a fantastic season so far.
                A winnable game... Our FTs...

Comment

Originally posted by NYtrojan View Post

And your insightful take on this thread is Baylor beating Stanford by 30? We aren't at their level at this point. Fact of the matter is if we make our free throws throughout the game at around 75%, we go into the last 3 minutes tied or ahead with a much better chance of pulling it through.
                  My insightful comment is "a more talented team than Stanford should be able to beat them by a margin where free throws are irrelevant"

Baylor beat them by 30. We are less talented than Baylor, I would have settled for a 15 point win.

It is the easiest thing in the world to say "we should have put the ball in the hoop more times when we had a free shot at it," but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the players know that...

We can't fix free throw shooting at this point, everyone wishes we would make them, the players are practicing them, its a waste of breath. What we CAN fix is closing out on the 3 pt line better and getting Max less 3 pt attempts. He's 0-5 for the game and < 30% on the season, I'm almost certain. He has some nice cuts for easy baskets, but he can't be shooting 3s at this point in the season if his percentage hasn't turned up yet.

I say play Waters more or try to get White back to himself. I also think out game plan was poor this time around since they got to the rim more than other teams we have played.

EDIT: Also, Peterson only 3 shot attempts? That's RARELY gonna get it done. See, plenty of interesting things to say.
                  Trojan2021
                  All-American
                  Last edited by Trojan2021; 01-11-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan2021 View Post

My insightful comment is "a more talented team than Stanford should be able to beat them by a margin where free throws are irrelevant"

Baylor beat them by 30. We are less talented than Baylor, I would have settled for a 15 point win.

It is the easiest thing in the world to say "we should have put the ball in the hoop more times when we had a free shot at it," but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the players know that...

We can't fix free throw shooting at this point, everyone wishes we would make them, the players are practicing them, its a waste of breath. What we CAN fix is closing out on the 3 pt line better and getting Max less 3 pt attempts. He's 0-5 for the game and < 30% on the season, I'm almost certain. He has some nice cuts for easy baskets, but he can't be shooting 3s at this point in the season if his percentage hasn't turned up yet.

I say play Waters more or try to get White back to himself. I also think out game plan was poor this time around since they got to the rim more than other teams we have played.

EDIT: Also, Peterson only 3 shot attempts? That's RARELY gonna get it done. See, plenty of interesting things to say.
                    Your initial vague comment provided all of these points? You bring up good points that I agree with for the most part, but you can't convince me that free throws should have been irrelevant to win this game. There will be games where we go cold or teams resort to fouling us, so free throws will be integral to success. It's clear that shooting 200 free throws per practice or 10 free throws in a row drills isn't going to make this team improve. Re-thinking our framework by experimenting with pre-free throw routines or rhythmic patterns will pay dividends. Shooting well at the line is the difference between winning and losing close games that will inevitably spur in March.

Comment

• Trojan2021
                      Trojan2021
                      All-American
                      Trojan2021 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just hear the free throw thing a lot and it really only needs to be mentioned 1 time. We've reached that threshold.

• Originally posted by TVofTroy View Post
                    Didn’t shoot well enough to win the game from the stripe or behind the arc. Move on to LA and sweep to get to 5-1
                    Best comment of this thread. Finish the week strong at home 💪

Comment

• Originally posted by ACfromSC View Post
                      Let's not worry about rankings. How bout sweeping the Beavers and Ducks at home. That would take the bad taste of this L away.

Comment

Working...
                      X