No not together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No not together

I do not want to see Ethan and Max in a game together.

If you come away from that game thinking that Max was the reason we lost, I ain't sure what to say. He had 1 turnover and was +9 on the day. Bummer his threes didn't go in, but it happens. If your point is entirely that Ethan and Max aren't good together, sure? But you could say the same thing about Ethan and Drew today. Or Ethan and second half Boogie.

Comment

Originally posted by SirHeftyBoy View Post
      If you come away from that game thinking that Max was the reason we lost, I ain't sure what to say. He had 1 turnover and was +9 on the day. Bummer his threes didn't go in, but it happens. If your point is entirely that Ethan and Max aren't good together, sure? But you could say the same thing about Ethan and Drew today. Or Ethan and second half Boogie.
      Engineering trojan hates on Max and Ethan too much but he was 0-5 from 3 today with some open looks and I think shooting < 30% on the season with high volume. He makes nice cuts to the basket and scores in the lane, but he can't be taking 3s in conf play.

2 glaring takeaways from this game for me:

- drew with only 3 shots total
      - only team to get consistently open 3s against us.

Comment

• SirHeftyBoy
        SirHeftyBoy
        Freshman
        SirHeftyBoy commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you that the glaring issue was that Drew and Isaiah took a total of 8 field goals. Of course it's an issue when Max is 0-5 from three, but our other guys legit weren't shooting. The other thing is we need somebody to shoot 3s. I agree Max was abysmal today, but we have to space the floor somehow. Just a really bad shooting night in general. We missed a lot of open three point looks. They were more or less giving them to us all game.

I didn't think anybody aside from Isaiah played well. It happens. I also thought Max had a handful of very nice moments - many without the ball! The kid's getting better...

If we want to win a championship though....... we do have to somehow find a solution for weak-side shooting to make opponents pay for doubling Mobley/Ellis/Peterson/Goodwin.

Comment

I'm okay with Max. Ethan is a point guard who can't shoot free throws, too many turnovers and can't shoot open 3 pointers. RDW can replace him. I would put RDW or even Kobe Johnson ahead of Ethan.

Comment

Originally posted by scforever View Post
          I'm okay with Max. Ethan is a point guard who can't shoot free throws, too many turnovers and can't shoot open 3 pointers. RDW can replace him. I would put RDW or even Kobe Johnson ahead of Ethan.
          Ethan was a 41% 3 pt shooter on the year heading into the Stanford game. Please do your research before claiming a player “can’t” do something.

Comment

Originally posted by SC MOJO View Post

If we want to win a championship though....... we do have to somehow find a solution for weak-side shooting to make opponents pay for doubling Mobley/Ellis/Peterson/Goodwin.
            Play the frosh!

​​​​​​Realistically though, they can only double one player at a time so if ONE of those 4 is being doubled we can certainly create an advantage somewhere that doesn't have to be the 5th player.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan2021 View Post
              ​​​​​​Realistically though, they can only double one player at a time so if ONE of those 4 is being doubled we can certainly create an advantage somewhere that doesn't have to be the 5th player.
              Trojan2021
              All-American
              Trojan2021 - you would be correct if a second defender followed a star player around the court, but that does not happen. It's always "Help" defense. When a team doubles a player, it's temporary, and almost always on an attacking offensive player. When a defender sags vs a non-shooting threat (typically vs centers who flash high), there is really only one player with an advantage - almost exclusively a poor outside shooter.

Everybody else deals with a crowded court.
              Last edited by SC MOJO; 01-12-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC MOJO View Post

Trojan2021
                All-American
                Trojan2021 - you would be correct if a second defender followed a star player around the court, but that does not happen. It's always "Help" defense. When a team doubles a player, it's temporary, and almost always on an attacking offensive player. When a defender sags vs a non-shooting threat (typically vs centers who flash high), there is really only one player with an advantage - almost exclusively a poor outside shooter.

Everybody else deals with a crowded court.
                Sure, but the ball still moves faster than the defenders! Pass the rock. Our offense looks really good when we are passing.

Comment

• SC MOJO
                  SC MOJO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure - passing is great and I'm a proponent of ball movement - but when defenses collapse, it calls for floor spacers. You pass to the player who is wide open.

That IS the opportunity.

That is the opportunity-agree. But the problem is we don’t use the opportunity, Not only the last game but so far our inability to shoot 3 pts is hurting us. Ethan has a above 40 % but he does not that much. Max is at 0.244%.

Standford exploited this shortcoming. Clogged up the middle when our bigs tried to get close to the basket, daring Max, Ethan, Boogie and Peterson to shoot a long range shots. It worked for them.

Comment

I prefer our starting line up of Ethan and Boogie as opposed to inserting Max against bigger teams and bringing Ethan off the bench. The two PG’s create easier opportunities and provide better spacing for Drew and other players. Let the opponent adjust to us and not the other way around. That said bounce back and grab the other two games this week.

Comment

Working...
                  X