It's simple, if we shoot well, we win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's simple, if we shoot well, we win

We could talk about the FT shooting because that was a factor in this game, but we are seemingly always going to be mediocre at the line (mediocre is generous - only 2 teams are worse than SC in Division I basketall). Leave that part out and prior to the Stanford game we have been averaging over 49% FGs on the season and over 35% on 3FGs. Against the Cardinal we shot 42.9% FGs and 28.6% 3FGs. Was this because Stanford played great defense on us? No, we had more than our fair share of opportunities around the hoop that failed to fall and most of the 3s we shot were open looks. We just didn't knock these down. If we just have our average shooting performance, we win this game and win most games going forward. We start a new streak tomorrow night. Fight on! Beat the Beavs!

Sure, but can't always control the shooting...

But we can control the DEFENSE. We let Stanford shoot 40% from 3 on 4 more attempts than we go. No bueno.

Comment

• SC MOJO
      SC MOJO commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. You got it Trojan2021.

Shooting isn't always going to be there. Even the best shooting teams have "off" nights.

Defense literally = effort.

If you're ready to work, good defense shows up. CAE teams hang their hat on it. It's just got to be there every night.

Definitely all about D today. 10 or 11 3s will kill you every time. They know that. We'll be fine. Sometimes a good loss is necessary to refocus you. Unfortunately!

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
      Definitely all about D today. 10 or 11 3s will kill you every time. They know that. We'll be fine. Sometimes a good loss is necessary to refocus you. Unfortunately!
      "10 or 11 3s will kill you every time."

This is just about a universal truth, but it isn't something you can prevent with defensive skill or effort. They can almost always get a step-back three, or find an open spot in transition. They're often low-percentage shots, but if they're lucky enough, a bunch of them can go in.
      ​​​​​​
      ​​It's a random event that produces upsets, maybe more than are warranted. Personally I think it's a systemic problem that ought to be addressed with a rules change, but that's the way it is for now.

Stanford hit some; we didn't. This doesn't tell you anything about who has the better team. All you can do is move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Linehan View Post
        ...but it isn't something you can prevent with defensive skill or effort.
        Mickey!!! I almost always agree wit cha....but wow. I couldn't disagree more. We normally commit to NO threes, NO lay-ups and let other teams have mid-range jumpers if they're going to get anything. It's ALL about effort IMO. ....and while you can't prevent every 3 pt attempt, you can definitely limit other teams to shooting less than their average and make their shooters uncomfortable with defensive skill and effort. ...part of what makes our D so ridiculous IMO.

(...you start early today?)

🤪

Comment

Originally posted by SC MOJO View Post

Mickey!!! I almost always agree wit cha....but wow. I couldn't disagree more. We normally commit to NO threes, NO lay-ups and let other teams have mid-range jumpers if they're going to get anything. It's ALL about effort IMO. ....and while you can't prevent every 3 pt attempt, you can definitely limit other teams to shooting less than their average and make their shooters uncomfortable with defensive skill and effort. ...part of what makes our D so ridiculous IMO.

(...you start early today?)

🤪
          Pomeroy has written a lot about this. There's never been good evidence that any defense can consistently reduce 3-point shooting percentage.

You can run them off the line, maybe. But you'd have to have some pretty super players to do that effectively and control the rim at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X