X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Trakh retires!

Congrats to Coach Trakh.

Mark Trakh Retires As USC Women’s Basketball Head Coach

Trakh posted a 65-50 record over the past four seasons (2018-21), his second stint at USC.

John McGillen

Women's Basketball | April 21, 2021
    Story Links

LOS ANGELES — USC women's basketball head coach Mark Trakh, who guided the Women of Troy the past four seasons, announced today (April 21) that he is retiring.

This was Trakh's second stint as USC's head coach. He is the second winningest women's basketball coach in USC history behind Linda Sharp, with a 155-114 record.

"This is a perfect time for a transition in the Trojan basketball program," said Trakh. "I can't imagine a more optimal time for all of us to embrace a fresh start. I am incredibly thankful to athletic director Mike Bohn, senior woman administrator Joyce Bell Limbrick and the USC Athletics personnel who have kindly provided the opportunity for me to leave USC in such a courteous manner. Their leadership will surely make the next chapter of women's basketball the greatest one yet.

"I am incredibly proud of my accomplishments on and off the court knowing that the program is in a great place. I would also like to thank all the wonderful student-athletes that I had the pleasure to coach. I have no doubt that they will have great success in the future. Fight On."

USC was 11-12 overall in the recently concluded 2021 season, with four games cancelled due to COVID-19 issues, and placed eighth in the Pac-12 standings at 8-10.

"I want to thank Mark for his steadying leadership during a difficult time," said USC athletic director Mike Bohn. "The future of our women's basketball program is very promising, and we are committed to providing the necessary resources to restore the illustrious tradition of excellence of the Women of Troy. With our historically strong brand, new and improved facilities, and a talented roster of returners and highly-ranked incoming recruiting class, we are confident we will attract a championship caliber coach. We will immediately commence a thorough national search for the next leader of our women's basketball program."

Trakh posted a 65-50 record over the past four seasons (2018-21), his second stint at USC. Trakh's first tenure as USC's head coach lasted five seasons (2005-09) before he resigned for personal reasons. In that time, the Women of Troy went 90-64, played in a pair of NCAA Tournaments, always finished inside the top five of the conference and won at least 17 games each season.

In 26 years as a college head coach, including 11 seasons (1994-2004) at Pepperdine and six (2012-17) at New Mexico, he posted a 458-317 mark (.591).

Mike Bohn

@USC_mikebohn
    ·
    Thank you Coach Trakh for your steady leadership during a difficult time! The future of our women’s basketball program is very promising, and we are committed to providing the necessary resources to restore the illustrious tradition of excellence of the Women of Troy.
    Quote Tweet

USC Women's Basketball
    @USCWBB
    · 11m
    The Trojan Family wishes Coach Trakh all the best! After a combined nine seasons as head coach at USC, his retirement has been announced today. #FightOn

https://usctrojans.com/news/2021/4/2...-coach.aspx…

Mike Bohn quote from his tweet: " ...we are committed to providing the necessary resources to restore the illustrious tradition of excellence of the Women of Troy." When AD Bohn said these words about necessary resources to the football program, he delivered big time. He now has a great chance to make his mark on this women's basketball program. Fight on Mike Bohn!

Comment

Who is the right hire?

Comment

Well, I am not smart enough to say, but I have some thoughts:

1. Karl Smesko of FGCU who SC went after in the past, would be a candidate if we are willing to invest in him, which we were not before. Could the timing be right now? Smesko is 488–93 (.840) at FGCU, where he has won the Atlantic Sun Conference Coach of the Year 9 times!

2. Another candidate SC pursued and failed to land is Kate Paye who has been at Stanford for 14 yrs, and is seen as the heir-apparent to Tara Vanderveer, when she retires. Kate comes from a family of Stanford graduates and athletes, if Tara does not plan on retiring soon, would she consider building her own program at SC?

3. Mark Campbell, recently hired Sacramento State head coach, 7 seasons as Oregon associate head coach, 4 seasons at Oregon St, men's asst coach at St. Mary's. Just left to join Sac State and took Xavier Lopez with him from Oregon. Lopez is the lead international recruiter for the Ducks, something the Trojans are sorely behind the rest of the conference on.

4. papa on this board mentioned the head coach at Cal Baptist Jarrod Olson as a candidate. He has been at Cal Baptist in Riverside for 7 years and led the Lancers to the NIT in their first year in Division I 2018-19 and this past season was 26-1, 14-0 in conference, but did not qualify for the NCAA tournament because of some rule that you have to be in D-I for 3 years to get into the Big Dance. He is local and probably very affordable.

5. Courtney Banghart current North Carolina head coach after huge success at Princeton where she was the 2015 Naismith National Coach of the Year. At UNC she has been mediocre so far, but has only had 2 seasons there, so all of that has to be weighed.

Everyone else, please feel free to weigh in. Hopefully Mike Bohn and Brandon Sosna already have a plan and don't need our help!

Comment

They better get it right with this coaching hire, because if they don't Stanford, ArizonaSt ucla, Oregon and the rest will just keep moving past SC every year like they all ready do and Sc will continue to look for answers. Let's do this right! Fight On!

Comment

Though his record wasn't particularly strong at USC during his second stint, Trakh is getting a lot of love from his former players at USC, NMSU, and Pepperdine. Minyon Moore, a standout, just posted this:

https://twitter.com/MinyonMoore/stat...89755977338880

He did have quite a big of impact on the players, and it was clear that they did adore him. So, hopefully relationship-building is a top priority for the next coach.

Comment

Originally posted by vazquetzal View Post
              Though his record wasn't particularly strong at USC during his second stint, Trakh is getting a lot of love from his former players at USC, NMSU, and Pepperdine. Minyon Moore, a standout, just posted this:

https://twitter.com/MinyonMoore/stat...89755977338880

He did have quite a big of impact on the players, and it was clear that they did adore him. So, hopefully relationship-building is a top priority for the next coach.
              No question, he's a good man. He loved his players and his actions reflected that. That being said, there can be no question that a change was needed. As an aside, I see Minyon Moore will be an assistant coach at Sac. State working with Mark Campbell. Good for her.

Comment

Not all the current players are in love with Trakh, some are considering getting into the portal....

Comment

I've followed Mark Trakh since his years as a HS head coach at Brea Olinda, where he built a power house before moving on to Pepperdine. He's always been able to recruit, but injuries have often derailed those efforts with the Jacki Gemelos injury being the most devastating.

Here is to hoping that Bohm can find the right hire to bring women's hoops back to their glory days. While I don't want them as coaches, it would be nice to reincorporate the top all-time Trojan players back into the program in some capacity, even if only as mentors.

Comment

This might be some overly wishful thinking, but I was searching through twitter, and someone said a rumor was that Kim Mulkey was planning on leaving Baylor and considering other prospects. And that USC has reached out. Is that even possible? She has 3 NCAA championships and has also won it as a student. She'd obviously be great, but is it just an empty dream? That said, even if there is a chance that Bohn reached out and she declined, this tells us that Bohn is serious.

Comment

Hmm. I think it was just small talk. Baylor pays her a lot, and LSU would be the only move she'd likely make given her upbringing. Oh well... also another name I saw thrown out was Torino Johnson from CSULA, but I'm not convinced on him, having had limited HC experience overall.

Comment

csula, u must be kidding

Comment

Originally posted by vazquetzal View Post
                          This might be some overly wishful thinking, but I was searching through twitter, and someone said a rumor was that Kim Mulkey was planning on leaving Baylor and considering other prospects. And that USC has reached out. Is that even possible? She has 3 NCAA championships and has also won it as a student. She'd obviously be great, but is it just an empty dream? That said, even if there is a chance that Bohn reached out and she declined, this tells us that Bohn is serious.
                          Looks like Kim Mulkey is finalizing a deal with LSU. She played at LA Tech and against our NCAA championship teams of Cheryl Miller, the McGees, etc. She was making a boatload at Baylor, so LSU must really be upping the ante to bring her back to Louisiana. Here is the article of the LSU deal- LINK

Comment

Kim Mulkey is officially going to be the LSU women's head coach. Her 3 NCAA titles at Baylor had her earning $2.27M / yr and it is expected that she is getting a raise to take the LSU job. New York Times article here

Comment

Working...
                            X