terrible start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrible start

It's early, but embarrassing so far. Can't shoot, can't defend inside. Sounds a lot like to last few years. First decent team they''ve faced and not promising. Need to turn things around quickly.

Yup, this is painful to watch. Down 10-39 with just under 5 minutes left in the second quarter. Not what I expected, and definitely not what I was hoping for.

Comment

Embarrassing is an understatement. This was the rude awakening I was afraid of, after our youngish/inexperienced team comes into this with three blowout wins.

1/2 way into the second quarter, we are playing flat, intimidated, unorganized. Missouri St is all business--disciplined and absolutely picking apart our defense.

I thought we would at least be putting up a better fight. The entire team is jacking up shots (3-22, ~14% FG%), watching the opposing team grab rebounds (almost doubling up the WOT in total rebounds), Marshall is being left wide open and she isn't making them pay. Hoping we can eventually make this respectable game.

FIGHT ON!

Comment

44-22 at the half (pending Sanders' jumper at the buzzer) as the Lady Bears double up the WOT.

Not sure if we would call the 2Q a run but we managed to score 14 points and continue to hit a majority (80%) of our FTs at the charity strip (really feels like it today).

Similar to our guys at the colosseum, LG and team will need to step up BIG TIME in the 2H. Hoping the team plays loose, inspired, and fearless basketball!

Comment

Worse off, Sanders threw up a shot that I thought was a 3, was counted as a 2, and then was removed after it was determined that the buzzer went off slightly too late. So, it's 20-44. USC's deficit is larger than their point total :/

On a slightly positive note, it does seem like USC has gained some momentum in the last couple minutes of the half, and I hope that that translates into something this time around. Something certainly needs to change here.

Comment

Horribly painful to watch. Outschemed, outworked, crushed in all facets. Pounding the ball into kids every, single possession that can’t score. No player movement. Walking the ball up the floor. Really poor.

Comment

Well outside of Stanford that is one of the best teams we will face all year.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyhoopfan View Post
                Well outside of Stanford that is one of the best teams we will face all year.
                Sorry, but absolutely no excuse for that performance. Performances like that will get them a spot at, or near, the bottom of thePac-12, poor shot selection, terrible schemes, outhustled, etc.. Looked very much like Trakh's teams.

Comment

We've started every game just about like this. Tough loss but necessary. We just played a sweet 16 team that brought back there starting 5. Lessons taught and hopefully learned.

Comment

It’s interesting because like I stated in my last post, Oklahoma state beat this team by 4 and Colorado beat Oklahoma state by 10. USC shot 20% for 3 point land and 16% over all. Just a terrible game in every facet. They did not look ready to play mentally. And when they got down they looked lost. I left
                    after the 3rd quarter. Also being at the game and watching live I noticed something else… they are slow… very slow
                    Trojanjunkee
                    Sophomore
                    Last edited by Trojanjunkee; 11-20-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately this is one of those games you learn from but throw away. Luckily we have a lead guard coming in A. Gayles. Our point guard play is steady but not a threat. Not alot of penetration or scoring from the point. Against good teams this will hurt us. Our wings will have to lead us this year.

Comment

No excuse for how bad we played but we played 3 bad teams and blew them out and then played a mad veteran Sweet 16 team and got blown out. Just not ready for that level of competition after the weak competition the first 3 games. Playing those weak teams serves no useful purpose in preparing us for the season. Need to upgrade the schedule. Not many bright spots other than Coach can use it as a learning experience. Also goes to show how this early in the year comparative scores are deceiving. Will be interesting to see how we respond next game.

Comment

Well, I would say I am glad that I wasn't at Galen, but where I was was probably worse, as the cross-town rivals ran up the score on us, winning 62-33 (the most points ucla has EVER scored against SC) - I think on the embarrassment scale, that was worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyhoopfan View Post
                            No excuse for how bad we played but we played 3 bad teams and blew them out and then played a mad veteran Sweet 16 team and got blown out. Just not ready for that level of competition after the weak competition the first 3 games. Playing those weak teams serves no useful purpose in preparing us for the season. Need to upgrade the schedule. Not many bright spots other than Coach can use it as a learning experience. Also goes to show how this early in the year comparative scores are deceiving. Will be interesting to see how we respond next game.
                            Spot on. Again, our staff will hopefully call it like it is. We aren't there yet after 4 games. I want to see where we are after 20 games. That'll tell me much more. I believe all games matter but this step up was good for us. Seton Hall will be good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
                              Unfortunately this is one of those games you learn from but throw away. Luckily we have a lead guard coming in A. Gayles. Our point guard play is steady but not a threat. Not alot of penetration or scoring from the point. Against good teams this will hurt us. Our wings will have to lead us this year.
                              As I noted in my notes on the last game against Western Michigan -"Desi Caldwell is an enthusiastic, talkative leader on the floor, and is a team captain, (along with Pili and Reed), but she just doesn't score. In a team high 34 minutes, she was 0-3 FGs, 2-4 FTs for a measly 2 points. She did have 5 rebs and 5 assists. She makes you remember how good Endyia Rogers was, or Minyon Moore, or Camille Lenoir or a long line of PGs going back to Rhonda Windham on the National Championship Teams. The PG position has never been so weak for SC"

We have all seen Desi for 3 years now as the PG and we know what we have in her and she just does not have the skills needed to be a PG, nor a SG on this level. In this game against a Missouri State team that I wrote this about: "Defense is their forte, they are currently the second best 3-pt defense in the nation, giving up only 9.4% made 3-ptrs. They are giving up 52 ppg and blocking 6 shots per game. Their star player is Jasmine Franklin who is 3 points shy of the 1000 mark in her career and is coming off a week in which she was named MVC Player of the Week", Desi had 2 pts, 1 assist and 4 turnovers! This makes our point. This season against Hawaii she had 2 pts, 1 assist, 2 TOs; against UVA she had 5 pts, 4 assists and 1 TO - you can't have a starting senior PG, team captain, who has these kinds of numbers. She is who we thought she was. So how long is Coach Lindsay going to go with her as the lead guard? Bella is a little too frantic at times, but she represents our best PG option to my eye and needs to get some more minutes to develop.

We are not in good shape at the most important position on a team - PG. No wonder Lindsay was experimenting with the power forward Pili as a point forward. Another option is to play Alyson Miura at the point, she has the skills, but that may take away your best catch and shoot 3-pt threat. Yes Aliyah Gayles should come in next year at PG and be a difference maker, but what about this season?

If you were Lindsay Gottlieb what would you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X