Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UCF game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UCF game

    Off to another atrocious start. Had as many points, seven, as turnovers in the first quarter. 3-17 from the field almost half way through the second quarter. Luckily, UCF was as inept. USC really needs to discover some sort of offensive identity or they're going to struggle in conference.

  • #2
    This is a really mediocre team, and that's being kind. May be one of the worse starting backcourts in Division 1 college basketball.

    Comment


    • #3
      You’re correct. How many chances do we keep giving Caldwell and Reed? They are supposed to be defenders and routinely get blown by. They don’t rebound besides Caldwell tracking down long rebounds when we zone. And neither can shoot.

      We were zoned by Hawaii and tried to pound it inside and played poorly. Then we were zoned today and finally played a shooter in Muira who was hot early, going 4-5 on threes, and then stone cold and finished 4-11

      But Reed played 38 minutes to go 0-5 and 4 turnovers. Caldwell played 19 minutes to go 1-5 and 3 turnovers. Muira saw extensive minutes and was much better than Caldwell but then we seem to placate her in the end and put her back on the floor and the result was a 15-3 run to close the game. We were up 4 with 5:00 to play and scored two points the rest of the way.

      Quickly losing confidence that this was the right hire. Too many players playing extensive minutes and little to no production.

      We’ll be lucky to be top 9-10 in PAC-12 play and we’ll see a lot of zone since we can’t score agaisnt it. Poor schemes and spacing again. Gonna be a long year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StopNPop View Post
        You’re correct. How many chances do we keep giving Caldwell and Reed? They are supposed to be defenders and routinely get blown by. They don’t rebound besides Caldwell tracking down long rebounds when we zone. And neither can shoot.

        We were zoned by Hawaii and tried to pound it inside and played poorly. Then we were zoned today and finally played a shooter in Muira who was hot early, going 4-5 on threes, and then stone cold and finished 4-11

        But Reed played 38 minutes to go 0-5 and 4 turnovers. Caldwell played 19 minutes to go 1-5 and 3 turnovers. Muira saw extensive minutes and was much better than Caldwell but then we seem to placate her in the end and put her back on the floor and the result was a 15-3 run to close the game. We were up 4 with 5:00 to play and scored two points the rest of the way.

        Quickly losing confidence that this was the right hire. Too many players playing extensive minutes and little to no production.

        We’ll be lucky to be top 9-10 in PAC-12 play and we’ll see a lot of zone since we can’t score agaisnt it. Poor schemes and spacing again. Gonna be a long year.
        Obviously too early to give up on Gottlieb yet, but I still go back to the fact that some at Cal were not that upset when she left. Their feeling was that she talked a good game, but it wasn't always reflected in the way her teams played. Others would say that that was sour grapes and that her teams had a lot of success. We shall see, but so far the results have been very underwhelming.

        Comment


        • #5
          OMG! This is nothing to do with the coaching hire. My goodness can either of you do better. At times
          StopNPop
          Sophomore
          StopNPop reminds me of Scoot Wolf of Inside USC. No matter what always has something negative to say against the coach, unless it’s someone they want hired. Dang this coach is not even 1 season in and your saying it’s the wrong hire? She is working with people she hasn’t recruited, their star guard left, she is trying to figure it
          out like every one else. I agree the guard play is horrible but that’s not this coaches fault. Blame previous coaches for
          not developing Caldwell or creating a culture of sound work ethic. This team is a work in progress. I am frustrated too but dang I’m not putting it on the coaches that have been there less than 6 months. That’s just absurd. Stop it. If you can do better, you should of put in for the job, and see what you can do in 6 months. It just like when you get hired for a new job. Reality is your first year you are learning and figuring out things. Stop expecting these new coaches, etc to have some magic wand and abracadabra make these less than great guards great or turn this team into a top 10 team overnight. It ain’t gonna happen. Get over it. Now that I’m off that rant. Y’all so busy bashing the coaches and guards.. no one played that well. Pili was forcing way to much and had several turnovers because of it. Jenkins didn’t play well. Central Florida was a ncaa tourney team last year that made it to the round of 16 I think. They are a good experienced team that plays very good defense. We are young with a new coach trying to instill a new program. Pretty big difference than the experienced UCF. Could we have won.. definitely. Were we favored no. UCF showed more grit towards the end and we had some key turnovers. But I liked our aggressiveness throughout the game on defense. First half was sloppy for both because of defense not because USC was atrocious or UCF was inept. We will continue to grow and if we were to face UCF down the road I can bet anyone we would beat them. Stop being a Scott Wolf…
          Trojanjunkee
          Sophomore
          Last edited by Trojanjunkee; 11-27-2021, 07:19 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Overall. PAC 12 teams did not have a good weekend at all. UCLA lost to teams far worse than who USC played. Cal Los to OLE Miss, they placed 9th in the Sec last season. Oregon State lost to Michigan and currently losing to Notre Dame Washington State lost by 30 to North Carolina State. Washington lost both their games. Stanford won 1 and lost a buzzer beater to a mid major, but should of won both. Oregon Lost before the break. The only teams that did well were Colorado and Arizona, however both of these teams played not so good teams.. So while we are being so hard on a new USC coached team, many other teams in the PAC 12 with experience and expectations to be at the top of the polls this year and make a deep tourney run…. sucked…
            Trojanjunkee
            Sophomore
            Last edited by Trojanjunkee; 11-27-2021, 04:44 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Our women have lost to two really good teams. Though we should've won this game. UCF was a good team. Don't understand the panic from some of the same poster's week after week on the men side as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Not panic. Analysis. We all have it. You can agree or disagree. That’s what this board is for I believe? There should be some sense of urgency because our team plays in the top conference in the country. It’s about to get real. Missouri State was a very good team. UCF is an ok team that plays a good match up zone. Part of the game we attacked it well and part of the game we didn’t at all. It’s a game we should have won and needed to win to show growth.

                If you understand Xs and Os, you see we need a continuity man offense and need to attack zones differently and get non shooters off the floor. Non shooters and strictly a post oriented attack makes a zone defense even more effective. LG made a good adjustment of limiting Caldwell’s minutes in favor of Muira. Reed can’t play 38 minutes and go 0-5 and 4 turnovers for this team to be successful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StopNPop View Post
                  Not panic. Analysis. We all have it. You can agree or disagree. That’s what this board is for I believe? There should be some sense of urgency because our team plays in the top conference in the country. It’s about to get real. Missouri State was a very good team. UCF is an ok team that plays a good match up zone. Part of the game we attacked it well and part of the game we didn’t at all. It’s a game we should have won and needed to win to show growth.

                  If you understand Xs and Os, you see we need a continuity man offense and need to attack zones differently and get non shooters off the floor. Non shooters and strictly a post oriented attack makes a zone defense even more effective. LG made a good adjustment of limiting Caldwell’s minutes in favor of Muira. Reed can’t play 38 minutes and go 0-5 and 4 turnovers for this team to be successful.
                  We've been saying we're limited at point. That's not a new revelation. The problem is until next season it is what it is. Even with bad point play we should've won. It's the reason Muira is now playing more point which I'm good with.

                  My point is this staff will work It's butt off and I've seen improvement just based in movement but unfortunately we are handicapped until we upgrade the guard play. At the same time I'm screaming the sky is falling every loss or bad game from a player. I get we're all here to discuss our team but boy. Anyway ya'll discuss on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If anyone saw this game, was it good D that caused us to shoot 13-47 (27.7%) or just atrocious shooting? You are not going to win many games shooting that poorly. Even with how badly the team was performing it was still up 6 points (40-34) going into the final frame. They then proceed to get outscored 22-7 to lose the game 56-47. What happened? Again my question great defense or poor shooting?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      SCthe1
                      All-Pac-12
                      SCthe1 think it was a bit of both. UCF is known for being a tough defensive team with that 3-2 match up zone. UCF has been holding opponents to 42.5 points a game this year. Also on the shooting woes, Jordan, who is usually very good has been in a bit of a slump and I think her mid range is far better than her 3 point shooting. Tera had been in a shooting slump as well. If those two can get more consistent and they move Miura into the starting point, it will be better for us. Pili is good at wing or inside but needs to make smarter decisions with the ball as she had 5 turnovers yesterday. I’m sure LG and team will come up with something to overcome the guard situation. She’s more than capable of understanding the dilemma she’s in with the guard play. I’m optimistic things will change for the better. Also I think we are better than UCLA so that’s a bright spot✌️✌🏽
                      Trojanjunkee
                      Sophomore
                      Last edited by Trojanjunkee; 11-28-2021, 12:25 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by papap View Post

                        Obviously too early to give up on Gottlieb yet, but I still go back to the fact that some at Cal were not that upset when she left. Their feeling was that she talked a good game, but it wasn't always reflected in the way her teams played. Others would say that that was sour grapes and that her teams had a lot of success. We shall see, but so far the results have been very underwhelming.
                        Not sure where you heard this. However please know that LG took Cal to the tourney every year she coached at Cal. And her teams were never stacked with the talent Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon lands year after year. Not because she couldn’t recruit, but Cal is not a destination spot for top recruits. SC is.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Trojanjunkee View Post
                          SCthe1
                          All-Pac-12
                          SCthe1 think it was a bit of both. UCF is known for being a tough defensive team with that 3-2 match up zone. UCF has been holding opponents to 42.5 points a game this year. Also on the shooting woes, Jordan, who is usually very good has been in a bit of a slump and I think her mid range is far better than her 3 point shooting. Tera had been in a shooting slump as well. If those two can get more consistent and they move Miura into the starting point, it will be better for us. Pili is good at wing or inside but needs to make smarter decisions with the ball as she had 5 turnovers yesterday. I’m sure LG and team will come up with something to overcome the guard situation. She’s more than capable of understanding the dilemma she’s in with the guard play. I’m optimistic things will change for the better. Also I think we are better than UCLA so that’s a bright spot✌️✌🏽
                          Thanks TrojanJunkee!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Trojanjunkee View Post

                            Not sure where you heard this. However please know that LG took Cal to the tourney every year she coached at Cal. And her teams were never stacked with the talent Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon lands year after year. Not because she couldn’t recruit, but Cal is not a destination spot for top recruits. SC is.
                            I hope as much as anyone that LG takes USC back to the promise land, but the reality is that there were people in Berkeley not sorry to see her go. It's a small point, but she didn't make the tourney every year at Cal. During the 2915-16 season, Cal finished tenth in the conference and didn't make any tournament. Of more concern to me is the fact that in her last four years at Cal, her teams had a 29-42 record in conference. Again, I hope she does great things with the Trojans and, while the fact that they've lost to the only two decent teams they've played so far and, in those two games, they've scored a combined 89 points, isn't necessarily indicative of what she will be able to accomplish, it's very disappointing because there is talent on this team. I think only time will tell whether this is the home run hire everyone seemed to think it was.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X