WOT vs UC Irvine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT vs UC Irvine

I was only able to catch the 2H and watched the team battle back from a 40-36 halftime deficit to beat the Anteaters, 78-69.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was a career night for Jordyn Jenkins. She shot 8 of 12 FGs, 8 of 10 FTs for 24 points. Congratulations to her!

Starters: Jenkins, Pili, Sanders, Reed, and White. Did not see Caldwell on the bench-- anybody catch what happened there? Also did not see Amaya Oliver on the bench. All players saw the court except Perkins (and the aforementioned S. Williams).

The Good: We out-rebounded UCI 42-33, shot 22-26 (85%) for FTs, and limited turnovers under our season average to 13. We were able to break UCI's press but I would imagine we see a lot more pressure come P12 play.

The Ugly: We missed a lot of shots. Not just from the 3pt line (4-12, 33%) but lots of bunnies in the paint. Sanders and Marshall were a combined 11-30, taking almost half of our total shots. They'll need to turn it around asap. Unfortunately, I also wonder what our FG% would have been had Caldwell been on the floor. Hoping she's alright and working to make her shots in our next 5 games, essentially at home (3 games @ Galen, @LBSU, @UCLA).

We continue to look a half step slow on the court. The coaches are constantly shouting to push the ball but multiple players seem to jog back, allowing the defense to get set. I feel we have an opportunity to use our athleticism and bench to play faster. There was a play in the 4th where Pili missed a bunny, then on the next play made a risky pass into the paint that resulted in a TO, jogged back, only to miss her defensive assignment make a three to cut the lead to 5 (this was after the team built an 11 pt lead, our largest of the game). Not sure if she still battling injury but her 1-7 FG performance tonight is far from her normal play.

The rest of our non-conference schedule against 4-4 USF, 3-3 CSUN, and 0-4 TSU are winnable games. This team has what it takes to go into conference play 8-2!

FIGHT ON!
    MarshallGradSC
    Sophomore
    Last edited by MarshallGradSC; 12-02-2021, 09:41 PM.

This was my third game in the building and Pili for whatever reason seems uninspired. To the point coach had to sit her down. At one point in the 4th C. Nneke( I know I'm butchering coaches name) had to talk to Pili. I also realized that this team is missing "The Nasty."
    Both Jordan's are skilled, Rayah is skilled but a freshman that is still finding her way. Right now we don't have a player that's pure nasty. Rayah at some point may be that player but right now we're missing it.

Add that to below average guard play. All I can say is recruit, recruit, recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallGradSC View Post
      I was only able to catch the 2H and watched the team battle back from a 40-36 halftime deficit to beat the Anteaters, 78-69.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was a career night for Jordyn Jenkins. She shot 8 of 12 FGs, 8 of 10 FTs for 24 points. Congratulations to her!

Starters: Jenkins, Pili, Sanders, Reed, and White. Did not see Caldwell on the bench-- anybody catch what happened there? Also did not see Amaya Oliver on the bench. All players saw the court except Perkins (and the aforementioned S. Williams).

The Good: We out-rebounded UCI 42-33, shot 22-26 (85%) for FTs, and limited turnovers under our season average to 13. We were able to break UCI's press but I would imagine we see a lot more pressure come P12 play.

The Ugly: We missed a lot of shots. Not just from the 3pt line (4-12, 33%) but lots of bunnies in the paint. Sanders and Marshall were a combined 11-30, taking almost half of our total shots. They'll need to turn it around asap. Unfortunately, I also wonder what our FG% would have been had Caldwell been on the floor. Hoping she's alright and working to make her shots in our next 5 games, essentially at home (3 games @ Galen, @LBSU, @UCLA).

We continue to look a half step slow on the court. The coaches are constantly shouting to push the ball but multiple players seem to jog back, allowing the defense to get set. I feel we have an opportunity to use our athleticism and bench to play faster. There was a play in the 4th where Pili missed a bunny, then on the next play made a risky pass into the paint that resulted in a TO, jogged back, only to miss her defensive assignment make a three to cut the lead to 5 (this was after the team built an 11 pt lead, our largest of the game). Not sure if she still battling injury but her 1-7 FG performance tonight is far from her normal play.

The rest of our non-conference schedule against 4-4 USF, 3-3 CSUN, and 0-4 TSU are winnable games. This team has what it takes to go into conference play 8-2!

FIGHT ON!
      Caldwell was missed tonight. Her ability to bring the ball up was surely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
        This was my third game in the building and Pili for whatever reason seems uninspired. To the point coach had to sit her down. At one point in the 4th C. Nneke( I know I'm butchering coaches name) had to talk to Pili. I also realized that this team is missing "The Nasty."
        Both Jordan's are skilled, Rayah is skilled but a freshman that is still finding her way. Right now we don't have a player that's pure nasty. Rayah at some point may be that player but right now we're missing it.

Add that to below average guard play. All I can say is recruit, recruit, recruit.
        100% agree with you, BigNat! If LG and team truly want to bring the WOT back to its glory days, she needs to recruit and have strong development in a killer instinct. All of the elite teams have the ability to win games they're supposed to, avoid getting blown out, and shift to a different gear and not look back!

Re: recruiting. Any thoughts on the c/o 2022? I believe someone mentioned that Aaliyah Gayles did not sign a NLI in the early signing period. Any insight there? Does LG take the transfer route (try to catch up to newly appointed Lincoln Route) and convince other former 5* and proven contributors to LA or does she set her sights for 2023? Montaya Dew is top 20 , very athletic 2023 recruit from the Las Vegas area. As bad as Close is as a coach, I unfortunately foresee Watkins and Cunningham to join Jada Williams in Westwood next year. Hope I am very wrong about this!

Comment

Something doesn’t seem right with Pili. I think since she got injured, her confidence is just gone. And she has been playing really lazy, forcing things and just not the same. Culture and change is always hard and maybe these players got away with way too much under Trackh and now things are different and are still trying to adjust. If Caldwell and Oliver weren’t on the bench it could be either they got suspended for violating team rules or could be health and safety protocols for Covid. I only saw the first half and yeah wasn’t too pretty. But we must stay optimistic, change takes time…

Comment

100% agree with you, BigNat! If LG and team truly want to bring the WOT back to its glory days, she needs to recruit and have strong development in a killer instinct. All of the elite teams have the ability to win games they're supposed to, avoid getting blown out, and shift to a different gear and not look back!

Re: recruiting. Any thoughts on the c/o 2022? I believe someone mentioned that Aaliyah Gayles did not sign a NLI in the early signing period. Any insight there? Does LG take the transfer route (try to catch up to newly appointed Lincoln Route) and convince other former 5* and proven contributors to LA or does she set her sights for 2023? Montaya Dew is top 20 , very athletic 2023 recruit from the Las Vegas area. As bad as Close is as a coach, I unfortunately foresee Watkins and Cunningham to join Jada Williams in Westwood next year. Hope I am very wrong about this!
            Truth is we have to land Watkins and Cunningham. Sammy Wagner out of Texas has also visited and seems to suggest she will officially visit. Gayles will be the first elite player for the staff but I truly believe we need another elite guard for next season probably in the transfer portal. Unfortunately this staff got a late start and so many of the top players were already committed to other schools. Now they should have time to build great relationships of top recruits including Montaya Dew.

Again we have 3 Bonifide skill players that are all on the wing but they have to become more aggressive. When they attacked it was nothing UCI could do with them. Muira is a good shooting guard with descent ball handling skills but isn't a true point or orchestrator of the offense. The point guard from UCI was very good something we are missing.

Watching C. Gottlieb and staff constantly tell players to push the ball and play defense to me is a hangover from bad coaching. It'll be interesting to see how the team continues to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojanjunkee View Post
              Something doesn’t seem right with Pili. I think since she got injured, her confidence is just gone. And she has been playing really lazy, forcing things and just not the same. Culture and change is always hard and maybe these players got away with way too much under Trackh and now things are different and are still trying to adjust. If Caldwell and Oliver weren’t on the bench it could be either they got suspended for violating team rules or could be health and safety protocols for Covid. I only saw the first half and yeah wasn’t too pretty. But we must stay optimistic, change takes time…
              Yeah Pili just like you said is off. Could be injury issues lingering. We know she's missed more time this season because of it. With Caldwell and Oliver hopefully it's nothing that will keep them out long.

As far as the culture goes, this staff has been around about 6 months now? Some of the bad habits are still there but the hope is as the season goes on good coaching continues to weed out bad habits over time.

Comment

FIGHT ON!
                Good thing you missed the first half, ugly does not begin to describe this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by SCthe1 View Post

Good thing you missed the first half, ugly does not begin to describe this mess.
                  This team has a problem starting. I want to say every game we've started slow

Comment

Jenkins was terrific. Sanders was steady. Pili is not playing well and honestly a liability on defense right now. 25 minutes for White and 4 turnovers with no assists and no rebounds won’t work. Miura looked sloppy as well, out of sorts. Her 3 turnovers were very careless.

Reed finally showed some offense at a key time of the second half. Rayah is going to be special but needs to learn to compete all the time.

UCI is a very solid group. Talented PG with 3 shooters around her. And their post play was solid. Their movement offensively and offensive philosophy is something we could adopt. We still stand way too much with no action to occupy the weak side. I’ve said all along we are a much better team when we push the ball and play fast. All of our spurts this season have come from our transition/early offense.

We don’t play with enough urgency and passion on either end. So it’s hard to get consistency. We also take WAY too many bad shots. If we can improve our shot selection that will make us more efficient. And we need to stop forcing high low lobs that aren’t there. But the stale offense tends to lead to bad shots and bad post entries. Both could improve with more continuity on offense. Hopefully we addressed and improve in those areas and work to compete for a full 40 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                    X