USF game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USF game

On the surface, seems like an easy win for the Trojans tomorrow. The Dons have been defeated handily by Cal, Drake and WSU, but the one game I went to, they beat UC Davis by 27 and dominated the Aggies in every aspect of the game. Why is that interesting, because a week later UC Davis played in Eugene and beat Oregon by 7. Really hard to know what to expect.

That Davis game was a head scratcher for sure. And our WOT tend to play down to the level of competition and disinterested at times. Bad habits heading into a game we should handle.

Would be nice to see us come in hungry and flex our muscle and put 40 minutes together. Here’s hoping. Fight On!

Comment

Anyone else having issues with the livestream?

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallGradSC View Post
        Anyone else having issues with the livestream?
        Yes, and when it finally came on and SC was up 21-11 at the end of the 1st quarter, I thought this would be a win. How wrong I was. Down by 2 at half-time 39-37, the WOT managed to lose this one by15 to the Dons 78-63. USF came into the game with a record of 4-4 and had lost to Cal by 29 (70-41) and WSU by 14 (72-58). This is going to be a long season folks, get ready for it.

The WOT played the game without Alissa Pili and Alyson Miura, so that was a hardship off the bat. Desiree was back and at least could bring the ball up the court. The FG% was nearly even for both teams at 40.6% for the Dons and 40.4% for the Trojans. But the difference in the game was in the number of attempts as USF had 69 shots to 57 for SC. 34 of the 69 shots were 3-pt attempts and they knocked in 13 threes. SC had only 14 3FG attempts, hitting 6. SC turned the ball over 18 times and forced only 10 USF TO's. That's pretty much the story here, more shot attempts, more made 3's, taking better care of the ball - all added up to a bad loss for the WOT.

Individually, the Dons had 4 players in double figures, led by a game-high 29 pts (9-21 FG, 6-14 3FG, 5-5 FT) from Greek import Ioanna Krimili, who came into the game leading the Dons in scoring at over 18 ppg.

For the WOT, they were led by 15 each from Tera Reed and Jordan Sanders, with Jordyn Jenkins adding 11 and Rayah Marshall 10. This was Tera Reed's best game at USC, as she also led the team with 9 rebounds and 5 assists, with a block, a steal and only 1 TO. She was aggressive today and needs to repeat this for the Trojans to have any shot at winning games. Jenkins followed up her breakout performance last game, by a relatively quiet offensive game and 5 turnovers.

This team has so many flaws that it is hard to see them winning even the easier non-conference games on their schedule. The conference schedule may be brutal to them. The Lindsay Gottlieb era was hyped like no other women's coaching hire in recent memory and so far has been a dud. The roster really needs to be revamped and a PG or two need to be found, as well as outside shooters. Jordan Sanders is our most reliable scorer and can create her own offense, no other players on the team really can. What will happen next season without her? In time Rayah Marshall may be able to excel, but she is a work in progress.

The camera angles are toward the scorer's tables and showed less than 100 people in the stands behind the benches. The other side, facing the benches usually has a lot more people packed in, but with the students in final exams and taking off for the break and the band, the part not at the Cal game last night until late, across town for the NCAA Water Polo Championship game (won by Cal 13-12 in a back and forth game), I would guesstimate no more than 400 people in the stands. I am sure Coach Gottlieb is feeling the pressure already, but she needs something to work with, you have to have the personnel to win. Endya Rodgers would have made a major difference for this team and we need to find someone of that caliber through the transfer portal. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
        X