Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socalsurf
    replied
    Bang. What a solid win! Apparently the WoT like breaking streaks of Top 10 teams at Galen (double OT vs No. 7 UCLA back in 2020 and now vs No. 4 Arizona in 2022).

Player of the Game has to be Alyson Miura. Clutch three after clutch three late in the game, with the last one from well beyond the top of the arc (to make it a 10-pt lead) one hell of a dagger. She just needs a little bit of daylight to bomb away and can catch fire quickly. Career-high 5 3PM (on 6 attempts) from three, plus a career-high 6 assists (!) I really like watching her on the court so hopefully she has earned a starting spot while Sanders is away so that we can avoid another slow start. If anything, her presence alone as a sharpshooter will just open up the paint for our posts.

Have to applaud Desi Caldwell's performance yesterday too. Calm at the line, steady bringing the ball up despite the press, and had 12p/6r. Akunwafo and Perkins are looking more and more comfortable, Reed played all 40 minutes, even Pili looked better offensively than she has so far this season despite low FG %. Marshall is still a bit raw and is struggling with shot selection right now, but her athleticism affects the game in so many other ways. And Jenkins continues to be solid for us. Love her footwork.

Highlights from USC Athletics YouTube: youtu.be/CS6PjjsXEmY

Dare I say the team's flow was a little better without Sanders/Jackson on the court? I say that because JS takes a lot of shots and doesn't always pass, but yesterday's offensive rhythm looked different. (But at the same time she's still a good scorer that we will need back ASAP).

Hope they can ride this momentum!

Leave a comment:

• FastEddieFinalFour
    replied
    Holy Toledo!! What a terrific win for our Women of Troy!! I hope this catapults them to a top of the conference finish. This will be a huge recruiting push, letting girls know they can come to SC and win now. Also so happy for the guys who post on this page who have been waiting for a signature win to get the student body and fans more involved.

FTFO ❤💛✌🏀

Leave a comment:

• SCthe1
    replied
    I did not watch this game, but like you MarshallGrad, I was SHOCKED that SC beat the undefeated #4 Wildcats without Jordan Sanders. Who'da thunk it? Not me, but I hope that this play continues going forward into conference play. I guess you never say never. Congratulations to Coach Lindsay Gottlieb and her team for having some Pac-12 success, feels good I bet.

Next up for the WOT are the Washington schools, with the 9-5 Cougars on Friday, followed by the 5-3 Huskies on Sunday. Can we win these games? I guess after what just happened against Arizona, anything is possible.

Leave a comment:

• MarshallGradSC
    started a topic WOT upsets undefeated #4 Arizona 76-65

WOT upsets undefeated #4 Arizona 76-65

Consider me shocked but I'll take this win, behind the 4th qtr heroics by Alyson Miura! Despite the last minute reschedule, quick turnaround, and missing our leading scorer, the WOT get their first signature win under the Coach Gottlieb era. Hoping this victory is the spark this team needs. We have way too much talent that has yet to gel!

Perkins got her first start with Sanders' absence (Sanders joined Kyra White in non-uniforms). Fortunately it did not look like Jordan had a brace or was on crutches. Still lots of careless mistakes, highlighted by 15 T/Os but the freshmen need these kinds of opportunities. Jenkins is becoming our most consistent scorer, going for 14 points. Perkins, Akunwafo, and Marshall combined for 17 points, while Caldwell went a clutch 8/10 from the FT line for a total of 12 points. Pili is still just a shadow of her former self but she looked loose today. I personally think Reed is not a good enough shooter to be camping beyond the arc. Lots of work is still needed but a win against a top 5 team in the nation is a BIG win!

FIGHT ON!!!

Last edited by MarshallGradSC; 01-09-2022, 05:24 PM.
Working...
X