WOT lose to WSU 71-63 What Happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT lose to WSU 71-63 What Happened?

Was only able to catch a bit of the 1H where USC was up by as much as 17. The Cougars came back to win by 12, a 29 point swing. What in the world happened?

There was lots of talk about the Arizona win being a momentum-building win but was it possibly too much of a confidence boost for this growing team?

The first thing that comes to mind is PRODUCTION (the lack of it). Our starting veteran guards of Caldwell and Reed went 2-15 for the night combined. Pili wasn’t too much better at 2-11… 3 of our starters shot 24% and that cannot not & should not happen!

This was unfortunately a winnable game at home that could have set us up to sweep the WA schools and move forward with a 3-1 conference record. Sunday is a must win.

FIGHT ON!
    MarshallGradSC
    Sophomore
    Last edited by MarshallGradSC; 01-14-2022, 09:12 PM.

We should've won but we didn't. We lead for about 3 quarters of the game and played some solid basketball but again with no scoring from the starting guards is a killer. Bella for the second time in three games has really done well in the game. Hitting 5 tres last night. C. Gottlieb talked about consistency. A big win is good but can you string along multiple wins is the key. What I've taken from our losses this season is the consistency on the defensive side of the ball. It was good for 2 and a half quarters. The unfortunate lapses and second chance points killed us last night.

At the end of the day it's a process win it comes to winning. And recruiting will be apart of that. Our main ball handler has to be able to put pressure on opposing defenses. Jenkins has started to really play well,, Rayah is coming along. I'm patient and still very excited for what is possible.

Comment

I’m not sure what the thought process is with Tera Reed. Does she leave her on the court for leadership. She played 40 minutes last night and was unproductive on offense….Alissa Pilli is just not the same player. Raya Marshal is the future but she plays like a freshman often her shot selection is not the best. They continue to have mental lapses as a team. I’m not sure if it’s the substitution process or what but maybe Coach is really just playing for next year? If Bella continues to shoot the ball like that and we get one more knock down 3 person next year… we will be good. Not sure why she did t have Miura on the court more…..

Comment

A few thoughts:

This game was lost on second chance points where WSU outscored SC 17-3

This has been said many times before, but we need more reliable ball handlers that can bring the ball up the court. Desi is the only one who can, but then she takes too long to get the offense going and just doesn't score well (3 pts in 34 minutes!). Jordan Sanders can be this player - anyone know how serious her knee injury is? Will she be back? If so, when?

Jordyn Jenkins has been our most consistent player most of the season and Lindsay needs to play her more minutes. She has only received 22.4 minutes/game but still leads the team in scoring 12.2 ppg, FG% at 55.5% and is second in rebounding at 5.8 rpg (Marshall leads at 7.8 rpg)

Bella Perkins needs to be on the court, she was lights out from 3-pt range setting her career high with 15 pts on 5 made 3s, she's like another Miura, but has better handles. Miura needs to get more than 3 shots, they need to set her up more.

Tera Reed had a poor shooting performance, but on the season shoots 42% FGs, higher than Jordan Sanders, Pili, Marshall, Caldwell. She also had 9 assists in this game and for the season, leads the team at 3.5 per game. Desi is next at 2.6 apg.

Rayah needs to have some plays run for her, so she can score more for us. She is capable of much more than she has shown.

I still don't know what is wrong with Pili, but she just is not the same player she used to be. She is slow and ineffective inside, just camps out on the arc hoping to get a chance at a three. If she returns next year, she really needs to dedicate herself to getting in the best shape of her life. Maybe that will raise the level of her game.

Anyone know why Angel Jackson, Madison Campbell and Kyra White are not playing - injuries?, coaches decision?

Comment

Angle, Madison and Kyra are injured. Unfortunately C. Gottlieb has what she has until we can recruit better. Cardwell can handle the rock and defend. If she would've developed offensively over the last 3 years this would be a different team. That an indictment on the last staff. No development with players. I've seen Clarice improve over these last 2 months. A good off season will do her good. Bella is starting to play more and Unfortunately for Kyra who is another serviceable player at guard, from what I've watched a good coach would not play Kyra over Bella. Freshman or not she is simply a better player at this point. I'll deal with Freshman mistakes. T. Reed in my opinion has been below avg. as a player. The expectation was much higher from her and she hasn't delivered. She's had a moment or two but passing on shots not being aggressive doesn't help this team. As far as Pili is concerned I know it was reported that she lost a family member. Sometimes you hit an emotional wall. Add on the fact she's been injury prone and you get a player that is frustrated and need sometime away.

Jenkins, Marshall, Clarice and Bella would become my nucleus. Muira, Jordan, Angle and Pili would round it out with Caldwell as simply the ball handler and defender. We'll see what happens though.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
            Angle, Madison and Kyra are injured. Unfortunately C. Gottlieb has what she has until we can recruit better. Cardwell can handle the rock and defend. If she would've developed offensively over the last 3 years this would be a different team. That an indictment on the last staff. No development with players. I've seen Clarice improve over these last 2 months. A good off season will do her good. Bella is starting to play more and Unfortunately for Kyra who is another serviceable player at guard, from what I've watched a good coach would not play Kyra over Bella. Freshman or not she is simply a better player at this point. I'll deal with Freshman mistakes. T. Reed in my opinion has been below avg. as a player. The expectation was much higher from her and she hasn't delivered. She's had a moment or two but passing on shots not being aggressive doesn't help this team. As far as Pili is concerned I know it was reported that she lost a family member. Sometimes you hit an emotional wall. Add on the fact she's been injury prone and you get a player that is frustrated and need sometime away.

Jenkins, Marshall, Clarice and Bella would become my nucleus. Muira, Jordan, Angle and Pili would round it out with Caldwell as simply the ball handler and defender. We'll see what happens though.
            Thanks BigNat, any info on Jordan Sanders?

Comment

Originally posted by SCthe1 View Post

Thanks BigNat, any info on Jordan Sanders?
              In street clothes. Definitely could've used her yesterday. Hopefully she'll be back soon

Comment

Working...
              X