Disturbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing

Name another Power 5 school that lost their best player/leading scorer to a transfer two years in a row. Transfers have become commonplace in college athletics, but it's usually either a disgruntled player not seeing the playing time that they think they deserve or a player who, although a mainstay at their current school, is looking for a bigger stage to showcase their talents. That's shouldn't be the case with either of USC's two transfers. Coach Gottlieb's first task as a recruiter was to retain the quality players she has. Rogers' transfer may have been a fait accompli by time she was hired, but she had a full year to work with Jordan Jenkins and lost her too. This is a very disturbing trend.

I think Jenkins wants to win now. Unfortunately our program is two or three recruiting classes away from being really good. Sad but if she has to go, she has to go.

Comment

Agree PAPAP. Why is no one questioning WHY are these kids all leaving? Now Pili who was Pac-12 Frosh of the Year is gone. 4 kids have now left from this team and I still predict Perkins will be the 5th.

Comment

If you all recall I talked about players leaving in a different post. I said Alissa would leave due to mental health issue or personal issues. I also said KWhite would leave along with others.

However Jordan leaving is a shocker. We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors and maybe LG has a different direction for the team. Maybe they didn’t have a good player coach connection who knows. But now is the time to see what rabbit LG can pull out of her hat. She is being paid a load of money to build this team and maybe that means letting go of players that don’t fit the culture no matter how good they are.

We will see. I would think if they really wanted Jenkins there, they could of kept her. Too much money in NIL deals out there right now.
        so my guess is that it was mutual.

Comment

Originally posted by StopNPop View Post
          Agree PAPAP. Why is no one questioning WHY are these kids all leaving? Now Pili who was Pac-12 Frosh of the Year is gone. 4 kids have now left from this team and I still predict Perkins will be the 5th.
          Why do you think Bella Perkins is going? She is the only recruit that LG signed last year, the other new players were from Mark Trakh (Rayah, Clarice, Tera). Playing time, home sickness, doesn't get along with LG? What is the reason you are hearing?

Comment

This happens some time with new staffs. Obviously things weren't where they should've been. We all saw the signs. Jenkins is tough but some of the other players that lost playing time or simply didn't like the way the system fit there game. Or maybe the staff saying, if you don't by in its time to leave. It's like that sometimes. Again this program has been bad for the better part of2 and a half decades. That excludes the 4 or 5 good seasons over the years but something has to change. The next two seasons will say it all.

Comment

As a WOT fan, I can only keep my fingers crossed for Lindsay Gottlieb. However as the thread title suggests, this is very disturbing. LG wasn't known to be a strong recruiter (relative to other top programs) and some of her top players transferred during her tenure @ Cal including current Louisville starter Kianna Smith, Harvard starter McKenzie Forbes, and former McD AA Gabby Green to name a few. Based on the recent LA Times article, it seems like CLG is saying all the right things and is leveraging some of the more modern basketball philosophies (e.g. mental health) but I'm anxious to see how this translate with the roster.

Comment

When did they transfer? She hasn't been at Cal now in almost 4 yrs

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
                  When did they transfer? She hasn't been at Cal now in almost 4 yrs
                  I believe Green transferred to LMU in 2016 and Smith & Forbes transferred during Gottlieb's last season in 2019.

Comment

Throwing out a name of players currently in the portal: Marisa Davis-Jones of Washington. She is a 6'1 W, former Gatorade Arizona State Player of the Year in 2021, who only played 4 games for the huskies. With the departure of Jenkins, we'll need some size and athleticism. https://twitter.com/UDUBWBB/status/1500993814453841921

Also improbable, but any thoughts on WOT going down the NIL-route and bring in the the TikTok-famous Cavinder twins? https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status...46911008841732

Comment

If they are at Fresno state not sure how they would translate to Power 5 ball….

Comment

I try to remain optimistic, but I keep being reminded about a lot of things I heard about Coach Gottlieb when she was hired, that, strategy wise, she talks a better game than she coaches, that, despite being very personable, she isn't a great recruiter, that she rubs some kids the wrong way, and that she had worn out her welcome in Berkeley and left before she could be pushed out the door. I've tried to convince myself that you always here that kind of stuff from a team's fanbase when a coach departs and that a lot of it was sour grapes on the part of Bear supporters, but then I go back to her 30-42 conference record during her last four years at Cal, and I wonder. Was she in real demand or did AD Bohn overpay to get what he thought was a big name? I'm guessing she's getting paid at least triple what she was making with the Cavaliers, and along with that and the opportunity to get back to California, she jumped at the job.

Unfortunately, the Gottlieb hire reminds me very much of Bohn's hiring of JT Higgins to coach the men's golf team, which has been a disaster. Higgins had had some real success at Texas A&M, but most of it had been a 5-10 years previously. It sounded like he very much wanted to get back to California to finish his career, so when USC came calling, he took the job. I'm guessing USC gave him a nice chunk of change to do that, agian probably overpaying. In Bohn's defense, apparently Higgins wasn't his first choice, but he couldn't convince Pepperdine head coach Mike Beard, who's a good one, to take the job, so turned to Higgins.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojanjunkee View Post
                          If they are at Fresno state not sure how they would translate to Power 5 ball….
                          I threw their names in the hat solely because of their notoriety (4M+ TikTok followers and were one of the first D1 athletes to get an NIL deal), not basketball skill. LA would be a much larger market for them (compared to Fresno) and it would help with marketing and instantly getting the program some much needed buzz for future recruits. Farfetched but why not?

On a more probable note, Davis-Jones currently follows multiple WOT coaches, Rayah, India, 2024 recruit Brooklyn Shamblin, etc.

Comment

Has Gayles actually signed? The LAT said we only have a verbal from her.

Comment

Wouldn’t it be crazy if Gayles backed out??

Comment

Working...
                              X