Disturbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pili confirmed on her IG now as well.

What a weird last few days... while I want to be angry/frustrated, we really truly don't know why all of these players decided to leave and will most likely never know so all I can do is wish them the best and thank them for their time representing USC. I'm glad they seem to be leaving on good terms/a grateful note though (as opposed to someone like E. Rogers who trashed SC on the way out. Gross.)

At the least, I hope some of these recent portal entrants got their USC degrees like Desi, Tera and Jordan did. Raoul is saying Kyra White is a grad transfer, maybe Pili is too?

Comment

I wonder if Gayles will decide staying close to home is best. Normally, I'd think a Top ten ranked player would never consider UNLV, even though it's local but they made the tournament, won their conference and has a coach that is arguably already better than Gottlieb. Right now, she's looking at a team that might be the last place team in the Pac for years to come if recruiting is a measurement as both Washington and Cal have stepped it up. Some are already speculating that Jenkins will go to Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsurf View Post
        Pili confirmed on her IG now as well.

What a weird last few days... while I want to be angry/frustrated, we really truly don't know why all of these players decided to leave and will most likely never know so all I can do is wish them the best and thank them for their time representing USC. I'm glad they seem to be leaving on good terms/a grateful note though (as opposed to someone like E. Rogers who trashed SC on the way out. Gross.)

At the least, I hope some of these recent portal entrants got their USC degrees like Desi, Tera and Jordan did. Raoul is saying Kyra White is a grad transfer, maybe Pili is too?
        +1 to this. I hope all of the Juniors, Seniors, Graduate Students are all leaving the program with diplomas in their hands as they enjoy the commencement speech by 7x Olympic Champion Allyson Felix! I wasn't sure if that was the case for previous transfer but Tapley, Moore, and Effa were all grad transfers to their respective schools. All the best and endless gratitude to our Senior leaders, Angel, Kyra, Alissa, and Jordyn-- they fought through injuries, administration and coaching changes, and many lows in their young adult lives. They all seem to be very grateful for their time at SC.

@Pacitup-- maybe a long shot but maybe she ends up at Duke? Colorado is a big possibility, but they have five seniors and lose their program player to the upcoming WNBA draft. However, if it's a business/development decision for Jenkins, Duke offers a better coach in Kara Lawson and a brand, similar to SC.

I am very curious re: Pili's next destination. LA/SC seemed to be a good fit because of her brother and the NIL possibilities as she recently revealed a partnership collection with rapper and USC-alum Saweetie & Champion, connection with Caleb Williams x Beats by Dre, etc. Does she get that kind of opportunity in Pullman, WA (as others have speculated she ends up @ WSU) or does her performance from the last two years manage to draw interest from top programs? Eager to see how this plays out but more so (im)patiently waiting to see who we bring in to fill the roster gaps!

Comment

I think there will no lack of suitors for Jenkins but just repeating what's being said. I also don't think Lawson is necessarily a better coach, especially when the program really took a nosedive late in the season. For Duke to lose to Tina Thompson's Virginia was total humiliation. They've also turned down an NIT invitation. She has a bigger name and Duke is obviously a bigger school but Colorado made the tourney and her best friend plays there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacitup View Post
            I think there will no lack of suitors for Jenkins but just repeating what's being said. I also don't think Lawson is necessarily a better coach, especially when the program really took a nosedive late in the season. For Duke to lose to Tina Thompson's Virginia was total humiliation. They've also turned down an NIT invitation. She has a bigger name and Duke is obviously a bigger school but Colorado made the tourney and her best friend plays there.
            I didn't follow Duke's end of season woes, but for Lawson's first full season (they opted out last year due to COVID), the UVA loss does not overshadow them beating then #9 and recent B10 champions Iowa, lead by POY candidate Caitlin Clark, and only losing to #1 South Carolina by 9 pts. Again, I could be wrong but I have my doubts about JR Payne's ability to go to the NCAA tournament once in her 13 seasons as a head coach. Heck, I have just as many doubts about Gottlieb, but she's been to the big dance 8x in less time (12 years) as a HC, and can technically take credit for Cal's Final Four appearance in 2013.

What I'm trying to say is I would have a hard time understanding Jenkins' transfer to supposedly win with a "better" coach in Boulder.
            Last edited by MarshallGradSC; 03-14-2022, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Lawson has plenty of cynics within her own ranks at Duke but we will also see if the transfer portal adds any or many Duke athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacitup View Post
                Lawson has plenty of cynics within her own ranks at Duke but we will also see if the transfer portal adds any or many Duke athletes.
                I sure hope so! If it's appropriate to start a wishlist, I would include former Sierra Canyon/state champion Vanessa de Jesus who only averaged 4.2 ppg this season and seems to have lost PT to Duke's freshman PG from Canada-- would love to see her head back home.

Comment

Vanessa de Jesus is a player. She would definitely be a player to get. Her ability would be perfect in what C. Gottlieb is trying to do. She reminds me of Chris Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNat1 View Post
                    Vanessa de Jesus is a player. She would definitely be a player to get. Her ability would be perfect in what C. Gottlieb is trying to do. She reminds me of Chris Paul.
                    Not trying to be argumentative, I always appreciate your input, but two questions arise from your statement. I think we all agree that USC is in desperate need of kids who can put the ball in the basket. de Jesus shot 36% from the field and only 27% on 3s, she was under 70% from the line, better than Desiree Caldwell's numbers except for free throws, but still not what's needed. Maybe she has something that isn't defined by numbers, but the fact that she couldn't find a consistent role on a pretty mediocre Duke team is somewhat of a red flag for me.

Second, you say she'd be perfect with what Coach Gottlieb is trying to do, what is that exactly? Honestly, in watching her teams over the years, I'm not sure what her offensive scheme is. Again, she talks a good game, but I don't see any sort of consistent approach.

Comment

It's one thing for the players to enter the portal and another for USC to actually sign them. Not much makes me confident that Gottlieb has made this a desirable location, although USC will always have cache. I would also agree that the most logical players would be from mid level schools but that would also require lots of analysis and understanding of one's own program by the coaches. Not a lot of faith in this group.

Right now, I think it's imperative to get Gayle's name on the dotted line. We can go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by papap View Post

Not trying to be argumentative, I always appreciate your input, but two questions arise from your statement. I think we all agree that USC is in desperate need of kids who can put the ball in the basket. de Jesus shot 36% from the field and only 27% on 3s, she was under 70% from the line, better than Desiree Caldwell's numbers except for free throws, but still not what's needed. Maybe she has something that isn't defined by numbers, but the fact that she couldn't find a consistent role on a pretty mediocre Duke team is somewhat of a red flag for me.

Second, you say she'd be perfect with what Coach Gottlieb is trying to do, what is that exactly? Honestly, in watching her teams over the years, I'm not sure what her offensive scheme is. Again, she talks a good game, but I don't see any sort of consistent approach.
                        Have you seen her play at all as a true freshman this year? Just from what I've seen she reminds me of Chris Paul in how she attacks and facilitates. Now I get the fact that her numbers weren't great but as a true freshman she got Dukes offense going something we haven't had. I didn't watch all the games for Fuke but she started lot's of games for Duke this season. Let's not get it confused. She has work to do but the difference is she's aggressive in how she attacks. Her handle and understanding of the game(IQ) is really high. The expectation is hard work trumps all. Her intangible are exceptional but at the same time she has work to do. So when I say she would fit the offense is because her game put defenses in vulnerable positions. Again as a true freshman she took the shots with no fear something our super seniors refused to do. You add De Jesus with a Gayles and you'll see a better offensive flow. That's just based off what I've witnessed

Comment

What’s interesting is this reminds me of what happened to Cynthia Cooper and recruiting. She thought he name alone would attract players and it didn’t. The only real highly recruited player they got was Aliyah Mazik. She got others like Kristin Simon. Valerie Higgins, etc but I remember her second year she had to go get players from overseas to fill roster spots and they were not good and some left the following year.

Temi Fagbenli was probably the best transfer she got. and only player that made it to the W.

I’m real interest in what LG pulls off but if she doesn’t have good recruiters which I don’t feel she does, it’s not goinf to be good.

Fingers crossed she and her team have a plan and some NIL deals to offer because now a days that will be key.

As far as Jordy, look for Ole Miss and Kentucky to make a play.
                          At Ole Miss she will step in Shakira Austin’s shoes and fit in that system perfectly.

Kentucky would be good for her as well.

As far as Pili, I think she ends up somewhere closer to home and I believe it will be Washington State.

K White is a little harder, I think she goes mid major like North Texas
                          or Texas San Antonio. Or maybe even HBCU like Angel or maybe even with Coach Hughes at LMU
                          Last edited by Trojanjunkee; 03-15-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

C. Gottlieb actually did well recruiting at Cal just going over the recruiting from 2014 til she left. And that's with a University that wasn't all in when it came to women's basketball or sports overall.

Comment

BigNat1 I am mistaken Wendell her top assistant was at Cal with her and you are right they did have better recruits than Cooper.

I really believe this was part of the plan and part of a plan to turn the program around. Remember Caldwell, Sanders, Jenkins, White, Oliver, Campbell, Jackson, Muira, and Pili came in under Trackh and played under his culture. 6 of the 9are now gone. RAyah and Clarice although recruited by Trackh, never played for him so didn’t know what his culture was. It could be the mixing of 2 cultures talented or not just will not work, thus the departures…. I still expect Oliver to leave. Muira and Campbell maybe not and may be the only playersto remain under the Trakh regime. Otto was a walk on and just happy to be there do I really don’t count her.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojanjunkee View Post
                                BigNat1 I am mistaken Wendell her top assistant was at Cal with her and you are right they did have better recruits than Cooper.

I really believe this was part of the plan and part of a plan to turn the program around. Remember Caldwell, Sanders, Jenkins, White, Oliver, Campbell, Jackson, Muira, and Pili came in under Trackh and played under his culture. 6 of the 9are now gone. RAyah and Clarice although recruited by Trackh, never played for him so didn’t know what his culture was. It could be the mixing of 2 cultures talented or not just will not work, thus the departures…. I still expect Oliver to leave. Muira and Campbell maybe not and may be the only playersto remain under the Trakh regime. Otto was a walk on and just happy to be there do I really don’t count her.
                                Loving the recent discussion!

BigNat1 I do recall that Gottlieb seemed to have a steady SoCal pipeline for a few years and managed to snag a few up the 5 to the Bay Area. However, besides Anigwe in 2015 and top 10-15 Cowling and Green in 2014, LG's tenure didn't seem to translate to strong recruiting classes did they? She signed the following:
                                • 2014 #10 Mikayla Cowling, #12 Gabby Green (ended up transferring to LMU)
                                • 2015 #8 Kristine Anigwe, #51 Chen Yue (injury ridden, five seasons with minimal impact), #81 Breanna Cavanaugh (never played a single game @ Cal, transferred), unranked Asha Thomas & MaAne Mosley,
                                • 2016 #60 Jaelyn Brown, #78 Mi'Cole Cayton (transferred), unranked Celeste West
                                • 2017 #17 Kianna Smith, #70 Alaysia Styles (both transferred out)
                                • 2018: #35 McKenzie Forbes (transferred)
                                LG seemed to have have small recruiting classes (resulting in thin rosters), missed out on local recruits (Ionescu comes to mind), and some may argue the lack of development for many of her ranked recruits. I agree that she had slightly better recruits vs CCD but I'd argue Mark Trakh and staff managed to quickly improve recruiting (signed multiple McDAA and Gatorade POY). Fortunately, I'd like to think CLG is in a more favorable environment to attract recruits nationally at SC, but IMHO, the verdict is still out if she is good recruiter to return this program even remotely back to its glory days.

Comment

Working...
                                X