Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Takeaways from Yesterday

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Biggest Takeaways from Yesterday

    1) Our guards struggle to stay in front of quickness. That’s where we miss Jonah the most. Teams with quick PGs like Colorado and WSU were able to get open 3s when they beat us off the dribble and swung the ball. Anderson isn’t going to help here because he’s strong but not twitchy. This is why Wright has used him but he did well against Pritchard. Which leads me to my second point...

    2) Ethan Anderson is totally unplayable. Black hole on offense. Time to roll with Eaddy, Peterson and Baumann, who I still trust as a shooter, and recruit over him

  • #2
    Originally posted by trojan2016 View Post
    1) Our guards struggle to stay in front of quickness. That’s where we miss Jonah the most. Teams with quick PGs like Colorado and WSU were able to get open 3s when they beat us off the dribble and swung the ball. Anderson isn’t going to help here because he’s strong but not twitchy. This is why Wright has used him but he did well against Pritchard. Which leads me to my second point...

    2) Ethan Anderson is totally unplayable. Black hole on offense. Time to roll with Eaddy, Peterson and Baumann, who I still trust as a shooter, and recruit over him
    I was hopeful Max would be able to play similar to Thybulle did for Udub a few years ago but Max is too focused on offense. He shown some glimpses last night with his ability to disrupt the passing lane & being able to excel in the open court.

    Ethan definitely is way out of shape to play any extended minutes & when he’s out on the floor he’s running an iso.

    Comment


    • engineerTrojan9
      engineerTrojan9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Max is another player with a liability. Max is too focused on offense, you say?. He impressed us as a Freshman when he made a few 3 pts in a limited role. But his shooting went South. Next year in his 3rd year, he should be our starter for this 4 star recruit at a forward position. I don't see it. We may have to have Peterson play a forward position along with Isaiah next year. But then, it will weaken our backcourt position.

  • #3
    Originally posted by trojan2016 View Post
    1) Our guards struggle to stay in front of quickness. That’s where we miss Jonah the most. Teams with quick PGs like Colorado and WSU were able to get open 3s when they beat us off the dribble and swung the ball. Anderson isn’t going to help here because he’s strong but not twitchy. This is why Wright has used him but he did well against Pritchard. Which leads me to my second point...

    2) Ethan Anderson is totally unplayable. Black hole on offense. Time to roll with Eaddy, Peterson and Baumann, who I still trust as a shooter, and recruit over him
    Good post. Totally agree on Anderson being a liability, Andy noticed the same things as you in the first half and sat him for the majority of the second half. At 21 years old already, it's going to be hard to see major development from him at this point, and hopefully we target a grad transfer for next year and hit on Seth Trimble for '22

    Comment


    • #4
      Really good posts on this thread and since Eaddy has proven to be a reliable ball handler against pressure I agree with trojan2016 in that Anderson should sit. Though Eaddy is a combo guard and not a pure point, he adds to much to our offense being our best outside shooter. I would play Anderson in limited roles especially if we go against any physical point guards.
      Yes, we should be in the market for a top pg transfer.

      Comment


      • #5
        I’m not ready to give up on Anderson yet. He’s had a long layoff, but he’s a pass first point guard and a good distributor and he’s got a role to play on this team. He has won some games for us already, he deserves a shot to get back in the rotation. Regardless, we need a backup PG and another couple ball handlers in a couple years so we should try to find some more guards.

        Comment


        • eltrojano
          eltrojano commented
          Editing a comment
          Eaddy plays better when he is not the main ball handler.

      • #6
        Originally posted by NYtrojan View Post

        Good post. Totally agree on Anderson being a liability, Andy noticed the same things as you in the first half and sat him for the majority of the second half. At 21 years old already, it's going to be hard to see major development from him at this point, and hopefully we target a grad transfer for next year and hit on Seth Trimble for '22
        Exactly right. He’s maxed out, can’t shoot and has no floater. Eaddy can shoot and has a floater. He’s not as good of a passer as McLaughlin and given that you can run the offense through the Mobleys who are good passers, you don’t need a traditional PG on this team as much. Way too early for me to form an opinion on Trimble but we are pretty high for him rn

        Comment


        • #7
          I heard Maclean's announcing partner mention that EA was on course to break the freshman assist record at SC before everything was cancelled last year. He's obviously had a serious injury, being out for almost a couple months. Give the guy some time.

          Comment


          • #8
            Supposedly Ethan practiced one time between his injury in early December and the Washington game. I think Enfield is doing the right thing bringing him along slowly with spot minutes. He could be a valuable piece to this team down the stretch.

            Comment


            • #9
              The problem with Ethan Anderson is there's nothing he does better on the basketball court than Derryck Thornton. Both provide no offensive value, and both are solid defenders but not game changers on that end. As NYtrojan correctly observed, he's old. Like, older than Chris Smith at UCLA old, which limits his growth potential. Yesterday was a one game sample coming off injury, but we have a years worth of sample that shows he should not be getting rotation minutes on a contending team. The transfer market will have dudes, and I'd be putting out feelers on Scotty Pippen Jr and Devin Askew right now. Also time to solidify the 2022 board whether it be Trimble, Dior Johnson, evaluating Aidan Mahaney etc.

              Comment


              • #10
                Statistically any group of athletes, absent special circumstances--like injury, can be expected to improve up to age 27. So his age isn't yet a factor.

                He has value once he's in game shape, but he also has limitations. Duh. So do we all. There's no basis for the assertion that he's now "maxed out."

                That said, you always want to look for improvement, by transfer or whatever. Ethan is unlikely to ever be my first choice to initiate our offense. On the other hand, I get the impression that he is coachable.

                If I'm right about that, the comparison with Thornton is inapt. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't give him increasing minutes, put the ball in his hands, and see how it goes. If we get to play Colorado again we're gonna need to try something different on Mckinley Wright.

                Sometimes you just go with what you got.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Give the kid a break! Give him a couple weeks to get back in shape and show what he can do. Seems like he has great chemistry with the Mobleys.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Originally posted by trojan2016 View Post
                    The problem with Ethan Anderson is there's nothing he does better on the basketball court than Derryck Thornton. Both provide no offensive value, and both are solid defenders but not game changers on that end. As NYtrojan correctly observed, he's old. Like, older than Chris Smith at UCLA old, which limits his growth potential. Yesterday was a one game sample coming off injury, but we have a years worth of sample that shows he should not be getting rotation minutes on a contending team. The transfer market will have dudes, and I'd be putting out feelers on Scotty Pippen Jr and Devin Askew right now. Also time to solidify the 2022 board whether it be Trimble, Dior Johnson, evaluating Aidan Mahaney etc.
                    One of my biggest criticisms in regards to Ethan is not his age, but his adjustment to playing this level of basketball, He’s also been stronger, plays in a low center of gravity when he dribbles/penetrates to the basket but he doesn’t have a pretty floater (he tends to use the backboard) & his shooting mechanics don’t look good, because he isn’t a shooter.

                    I remember him coming into this season trying to become more of a factor in the perimeter, he shot Ok in the first few games. Then you have to factor in his injury & decreased time with the team + any type of basketball activity. Hate to say this, but he’s playing catch up to both Drew & Tahj.

                    You mentioned some pretty solid names on that list. Keep hearing Seth Trimble really likes USC & Aidan has been on my radar since he was a Freshman but I see him as a Stanford kid. Btw, have you had a chance to take a look at Northern Arizona yet?
                    Last edited by CabJag; 01-18-2021, 08:27 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by trojan2016 View Post
                      The problem with Ethan Anderson is there's nothing he does better on the basketball court than Derryck Thornton. Both provide no offensive value, and both are solid defenders but not game changers on that end. As NYtrojan correctly observed, he's old. Like, older than Chris Smith at UCLA old, which limits his growth potential. Yesterday was a one game sample coming off injury, but we have a years worth of sample that shows he should not be getting rotation minutes on a contending team. The transfer market will have dudes, and I'd be putting out feelers on Scotty Pippen Jr and Devin Askew right now. Also time to solidify the 2022 board whether it be Trimble, Dior Johnson, evaluating Aidan Mahaney etc.
                      Disagree with this.
                      Anderson is a superior distributor and passer than Thornton and plays better and more in control within the scheme.
                      Thornton is superior to Anderson as a defender and was able to occasionally dominate games on defense.
                      Anderson is a better outside shooter, takes better shots overall and rebounds better.
                      Lastly, from an attitude perspective, there’s no comparison between the two.

                      Let’s not get absurd here: Anderson isn’t that old. No one should be arguing that he’s going to be a superstar point guard, so the age factor is irrelevant. But the guy had a solid frosh year and there’s no reason not to think he should be able to help the team once he’s healthy.

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by Mickey Linehan View Post
                        Statistically any group of athletes, absent special circumstances--like injury, can be expected to improve up to age 27. So his age isn't yet a factor.

                        He has value once he's in game shape, but he also has limitations. Duh. So do we all. There's no basis for the assertion that he's now "maxed out."

                        That said, you always want to look for improvement, by transfer or whatever. Ethan is unlikely to ever be my first choice to initiate our offense. On the other hand, I get the impression that he is coachable.

                        If I'm right about that, the comparison with Thornton is inapt. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't give him increasing minutes, put the ball in his hands, and see how it goes. If we get to play Colorado again we're gonna need to try something different on Mckinley Wright.

                        Sometimes you just go with what you got.
                        I respect this assessment. Ethan didn’t come out of High School as a bonafide 4-5* level kid like Derryck did. He originally signed with UNLV then obviously asked for a release once their HC was let go. Ethan is very serviceable, personally have watched him a lot while he was in High School: Fairfax, Dreamvision, GamePoint. Always have been a fan. Knows how to play PG but he has been used to being a lot stronger & more athletic than the opposition. Something he still needs to adjust to. He’s made several plays last season where he had all of us in awe ie, baseline dunk vs Nova. It’s only fair to not give up on him yet. The kid works on his game a lot. I think he will be more than Ok for us in the long run.

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          engineerTrojan9 yes. Max is too focused on taking an open shot from the perimeter which ironically, CAE encourages all of his guards/forwards to take. He would be at his best if he solely focuses on defense and creating turnovers off his length + athleticism. His break away dunk vs Wazzu after he stole an entry pass was a thing of beauty. He’s a kid that is oozing with so much potential & his blessed with tremendous genetics. Hope he keeps putting in the work & is patient. His time will come.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X